Monday, June 3, 2013

عمان - A love poem

I wrote this poem my first morning in Amman. It might have been too early to know the city, but even after four months of living there the message of the poem feels right. I can't believe I haven't posted it yet, but it takes courage for a poet to release their work. Poetry is such a personal expression, cutting right at our deepest emotions, without any flouncy sentence construction in the way. The poetic tradition in the Middle East is one of the strongest factors that first attracted me to learn Arabic. Anyway, I'll cut to the chase, and deliver to you my poem.


Amman
The city of circles
Whirls and swirls
In motion and emotion
Encroaching upon the past
We fled from and shooting
Into the haze of tomorrows
Chasing what was lost
In the cost
Of living
In the eye of the storm
Forever together
In the world alone

No comments:

Post a Comment