Thursday, July 19, 2012

Going Home

NB: This was delayed in publishing. I wrote this on July 17, before leaving for BWI to fly to Sweden.

“This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.” - Rumi


Today I started this blog to chronicle the next 5-6 months of which I will be traveling through Sweden, Malta, Istanbul, Jordan, Lebanon, and Israel. Some of these places I have already lived in (Sweden, Malta), some have been visited (Israel) and others are completely new to me and makes it all the more exciting to visit.

The quote above by the mystical Persian poet Rumi is usually affiliated with spiritual love, but to me, someone who is hopelessly in love with traveling, it speaks to me of all the adventures and new discoveries I will make in the coming months. The secret sky is my unknown future, and the hundred veils that fall are the misconceptions that will be removed as I am exposed to new cultures and new people. And "to take a step without feet" to me means to take a risk, let go of my roots (although I don't think I was ever a homebody) and to go where I've never gone before.

But before all of that comes the long-awaited return to the familiar, to my homeland Sweden, in the company of my parents, sister, and grandmother. Ironically, I'm almost more excited to be going to airports and on air planes again than returning to Sweden. For someone who flew the first time they were six weeks old, I have always felt comforted by airports and airplanes, a sort of mainstay in life, the one experience that feels the same. I still feel, 10 years later, the anticipation and excitement of going on a long trip that I would feel at the age of 9. And I warn you: travel tends to make me very introspective but I will try to not write too many sappy blog posts about good byes and "internal journeys". Flight will be leaving in a few hours so I need to go. THE JOURNEY BEGINS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment