Sunday, July 29, 2012

Åh det är skönt när mitt Stockholm är grönt

Last night three generations of women were sitting under 16th century wooden beams, listening to a smooth and sparkling summer jazz that trailed through the night like the cool summer breeze that blew in through the open door leading out to the verdant garden and ashen, tear-stained sky. The scent of carefully prepared meats with wine sauces and roasted potatoes rose to the ceiling with notes from an antiquated organ and a saw strummed with violin strings. The women were me, my mother, and my grandmother, and our friends and family. The jazz was performed by the talented Rebecka Törnqvist and the great food was prepared at Skottvångs Grufva.




There are few things I love more than a jazz concert in summertime.

Speaking of things I love, I had a wonderful day revisiting childhood memories with my cousins at Skansen. It is the closest you can get to a zoo in Stockholm and a great way to get a sense of the diversity within Sweden without leaving the capital. They also have craft houses where you can view glass-blowers, potters, and bakers use techniques employed in Sweden for centuries. Most of the houses close by 5pm, only five of them staying open until 7pm, but the whole area is open until 10pm. We arrived at 4.30pm and had the whole tourist-hub practically to ourselves!






Finally, what is a blog in Summer 2012 if it doesn't mention the London 2012 Olympics?! After a wonderful picnic watching the sun set over Stockholm, we stayed up until 2am watching the opening ceremonies in London while chewing on Swedish candy. When I saw the Swedish costumes the fashionista in me had to cringe. They certainly stood out, but I don't think Sweden has ever looked so dorky. Nonetheless, London did a great job with the opening ceremonies, focusing on culture and history, which are certainly two of Great Britain's greatest attributes. The olympic torch for this year is certainly the most beautiful I have ever seen!

PS. The title for this post is the opening line for one of my favorite songs about Stockholm: Monica Zetterlund - SAKTA VI GÅ GENOM STAN

No comments:

Post a Comment